a

First one to go . . .

August 2, 2017 - 14:24 -- skr52

Over the past two weeks, I processed all of the Cirsium hillii seeds (~12,000!) that my mentor and I collected from the field and analyzed the data. Good news is that our pollination experiment seemed to work! Cross-pollinated flowers produced about 50% more viable seeds than open-pollinated flowers, which we expected. Let's just hope it is actually statistically significant! While I waited for the auto-feeder to weigh the seeds, I was working on my video that explains my project. I used to hate doing video projects back in school, but I had a lot more fun with this one. I had already recorded videos and pictures of my flowers in the field so I already had half the footage! I filled the rest with graphics I drew and some videos of me talking with the amazing background of CBG. I added the voice-over and I was done! Feels great to look back at all the hard work I've done.

IMG_2151_0_0_0.JPG
Cirsium hillii seeds are attached to fluffy pappi for wind dispersal!

Unfortunately, this is my last week at CBG. :'( As much as I am excited to be attending the ESA conference in Portland next week, I am equally as sad to be leaving the garden and all the friends I have made here. It's been wonderful to have shared this experience with such fun, smart, and supportive interns and staff. I hope that I will return to CBG in the near future for school/work/fun!