To apply, students will need to do the following:
- Read through potential projects and identify the three projects and mentors you are most interested in.
- Prepare a statement of interest.
- Have the name and email address of a reference willing to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Letters may be submitted after the application deadline.
- Create an account
- Once you are logged in, click on the menu item My Account > My Application and submit your application.
- Arrange to have transcripts sent. You may submit an unofficial transcript (pdf format) for the initial application, however, if selected, an official transcript must be sent as well.
Paper copies mail to:
c/o Jeremie Fant
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Rd, Glencoe, IL 60022
Electronic copies: have link or file emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'REU Electronic Transcript'. Files must be in .pdf format.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. We realize that letters of recommendation and transcripts may arrive after the application deadline, and applications will be considered as they are completed.
Chicago Botanic Garden (CBG) values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in all its programs. At the CBG Plant Science Research Center we advocate diversity in the sciences by promoting access and success of historically marginalized communities through the fostering of an equitable and inclusive community climate. The REU program at CBG encourages those who lack research opportunities at their home institutions, who have not participated in REU or similar experiences in the past, and/or are from groups traditionally underrepresented in the biological sciences to apply. We support the Chicago Botanic Garden's Diversity Policy. For more information, please email us at email@example.com.
Applications to the program must be submitted using the "Online Application" web forms no later than midnight on Wednesday, February 1, 2017.
NOTE: Do not begin the online application until you are ready to complete it as you will not be able to save an incomplete application and return to it at a later time.
NSF-supported REU participants must be current undergraduate students (enrolled spring and fall 2018) and must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions. Graduating seniors or recent graduates are not eligible to apply.
If you're graduating in Spring 2018, please consider the Conservation and Land Management Internship Program, which hires 75-100 college graduates for 5-month internships each year (http://www.clminternship.org/).
The following documents are necessary for an application to be considered complete:
- Completed application form (online)
- Statement of interest (to be uploaded to the online application as a pdf file)
- One reference (with name, email address, and institutional affiliation and position)
- Official college/university transcripts (to be mailed to Chicago Botanic Garden)
Applicants must prepare an essay detailing:
- Why you are interested in the CBG REU Program;
- What you hope to gain from the REU internship and how it fits with your longer-term educational and career goals.
- Explain your interest in Conservation and Plant Biology.
- List relevant courses and experiences that have prepared you for your preferred projects.
One letter of recommendation must be sent directly to CBG by the individual you list as your reference. We will email your reference an online link for letter submission and you will be notified by email when we have received the letter. When selecting your reference, please be sure that they can speak to your potential for conducting research.
You may submit an unofficial transcript for initial application; however, if selected an official transcript must be sent. Unofficial transcripts may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'REU Electronic Transcript'. Files must be in .pdf format.
Your official college/university transcripts must be sent directly from the school in a sealed envelope to:
c/o Jeremie Fant
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road
Glencoe, IL 60022
Further questions? Email us at email@example.com